It is not my practice to endorse a book without having read it. But I am doing so today because I know the book, I know the author, and you can save money if you buy it today.
The book is the just-released third edition of Solo by Choice, by Carolyn Elefant, creator of MyShingle.com. Although I have not yet read this third edition, I did read the first and second editions, and I know this to be one of the best guides available to starting your own firm.
Through today, the book is available for $25. After today, the price goes up.
For nearly two decades, Carolyn has been the guru of solo practice, ever since starting her MyShingle blog in 2004. She wrote the first edition of this book in 2008. (In fact, I interviewed her about the book that year for my Lawyer2Lawyer podcast.)
This latest edition covers such topics as:
- How to decide whether solo or small firm practice is right for you.
- How to overcome your biggest fears about solo practice.
- How to select a practice area that serves your interests, financial goals, and lifestyle.
- How to assess your technology needs and choose a tech stack for your practice.
- How newly emerging business models can create new opportunities for solos.
- How to build strong client relationships and develop a solid retainer agreement.
- How to outsource and automate to manage busy times and grow your practice.
- How to leverage digital marketing and social media.
- How to manage personal challenges and maintain balance while running a successful practice.
Whether you are pondering starting a practice or you have already made the leap, you will be glad you spent the $25.